Lunch or dinner, this soup hits the spot every time. Serves 4.
2 (600 g) European Style Bologna Ring
2 lbs (1 kg) potatoes
½ lb (250 g) onions
1 cup (250 ml) beef broth
1 tsp (5 ml) l0 caraway seeds
5 Juniper berries (optional)
4 cups (1 L) buttermilk
2 tbsp (30 ml) cornstarch
½ cup (125 ml) crème fraîche
Salt and pepper to taste
½ cup (125 ml) whipping cream
½ cup (125 ml) sour cream
Let the two creams combine thoroughly for approx 12 hours at room temperature.
1. Wash, peel and cut potatoes into small pieces.
2. Cut onions into strips.
3. Place onions and potatoes into broth with seasonings, and cook for 15 minutes.
4. Remove casing from sausage and cut into cubes.
5. Take 1/3 of potatoes/onion mixture, purée into a mousse and return to pot.
6. Add sausage.
7. Combine 2 Tbsp (30ml) of buttermilk with cornstarch.
8. Add the rest of buttermilk to the soup, then add cornstarch mixture and let soup boil briefly.
9. Season to taste, and thin with ½ cup (125 ml) of the crème fraîche.