Bacon Orange Benedict
A tasty, energetic start to anyone’s day. Serves 6.
12 slices Freybe European Back bacon
6 thin slices of a red onion
3 large or 4 medium oranges
1 tbsp (15 ml) cornstarch
1 cup (250 ml) orange juice
1 tbsp (15 ml) grated lemon peel
6 English muffins or crumpets
Softened butter or margarine
1. Pre-heat oven to 300ºF (150 C).
2. Arrange 6 of the back bacon slices on a baking sheet.
3. Place an onion on each.
4. Cut rind off oranges and cut 6 orange slices about ½-inch thick. Remove seeds and place one orange slice on each onion slice.
5. Top with remaining slices of bacon; bake 10 minutes.
6. Mix cornstarch with orange juice in a saucepan and stir until smooth and thickened, over low heat.
7. Cut up remaining orange into small pieces and add to orange sauce. Add lemon peel. Cook for one more minute.
8. Split, toast, and butter muffins. Arrange bacon groups over top and spoon orange sauce over decoratively.